Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines Day

I was going to post the history of Valentine's Day and maybe say something philosophical about it, but I started reading wikipedia (because they ALWAYS know what they're talking about. lol) and decided against it because it was utterly boring. 

The deal is there were lots of guys named Valentine. They were martyred back in 200 something. Some guy in 1300 something wrote a book that mentioned Valentine in the same line as birds mating. There you go...Happy Valentine's Day! lol. 

But even thought the history is totally unromantic, it has become quite the upper/downer for us nowadays. People are ecstatic about certain gifts there sweethearts are supposed to be getting them, and other's are bummed because this is the time for lovers and they're single. 

To the love birds...congrats and enjoy today. Show love to each other on more than just Valentine's Day and eat some extra chocolate for me

To the single folks (me included) I'm not going to go on saying that this is really just "Single's awareness day" because it's not. Let's just face it this day isn't for us, and we feel left out and lonely. Some try to make up for it by going out with there other single friends, or by just acting like it's just another day, which is damn near impossible since this day has been shoved down everyone's throat since grade school party's and we all know it's coming right after Christmas when all the stores start stalking their shelves with red and pink teddy bears. 
It's okay to feel left out because all the good stuff goes to the people with the lovers in their lives. But, it still doesn't mean that we can't enjoy ourselves. As corny as it is you can be your own Valentine

True story. In high school during a carnation sale I didn't get any carnations, not even from a friend (thanks guys). So the next year, I sent my self five. lol. And while I paid for them and they weren't a gift from someone else, they were a gift from Ashley to Ashley because if you don't love yourself love muffins....you know how that goes. lol. 

So if you feel the need to be down, go ahead. I did. But I'm also going to spend that money that would've been spent on a nice gift for someone on me and going to get my nails done a facial. Oh, and instead of buying yourself candy before V-Day or on, wait till after when it's all on sale and still good. lol

That's how I keep it funky =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment