Sunday, January 4, 2009

What about your friends?

So I just had a reunion from people that I went to undergrad with this past weekend and it really got me to thinking about what makes a lasting friendship. Some of these people I don't know if I would keep in contact with five years later, and some people I've become closer to. I know people change and adapt to their new settings in life that don't necessarily include being as involved in your friends life as usual and that's just how life is. People move away and move on. But it's nice to reconnect with each other. Grant it most of us graduated in May and it hasn't been that long since we've seen each other, but It was just like how it was at school. 
It got me to thinking about how you decide the people that you keep in your life and the people that you decide it's time they make their exit. 

Moving on in life and being put out our comfort zone can really make people grow up fast. That's what I felt happened to me when I went away to law school. I know that bitchassness, messiness, craziness, etc. will follow you wherever you go in life when it comes to a social scene. There's always that one person that can't keep their nose out of other people's business because they think that they are being a good friend by stepping in. Well fyi if you're one of those people and you're reading this...MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! I know it sounds harsh, but a good friend turns her/his head sometimes. A good friend wont let you go out looking crazy, but will let you know if you ask them that that dress isn't working for you. 

I wonder sometimes why we call certain people our friends. Is it just because we're comfortable around them? Because we've known them for so long? Because They've just always been there? 

I have even found myself remaining friends with some people just because I have always been friends with them. But I find this to be a mistake. For me, I seem to hold on to people that seem to be there for me when/if I need them (sometimes) but they have a tendency to latch on and be vultures. They become toxic. People...let these toxic folk out of your life. It's like being in an abusive relationship. Your sig may always say he's sorry after he beats the shit out of you, but that doesn't change the fact that HE BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!! 

I believe that I have grown immensely since I moved to go to law school, and to be honest, the stress and hullabaloo of worrying about grades and studying makes me not sweat the small stuff. I don't care that so-n-so talked about me coming to class in sweat pants (or whatever other petty thing people find to talk about because they're too busy worrying about other people instead of themselves), I have work to do.  

So please, don't sweat the small stuff. If you find you have a toxic friend let them go. You'll find that you don't miss them because you're too busy doing you and not worrying about what other people think. Like my Daddy always said, "If they ain't putting food on your table, or paying your bills...F*** 'Em"

And please Ladies and Gentlemen remember to always keep it funky =) 

2 comments:

  1. What about your friends? What about that piece of cake you heifer!?

    Yes, cleanse the toxic friends out of your life. Or even the friends that won't reciprocate your efforts or actions. I know that everyone is superbusy and it will be this way a decade from now, but a real friend will reciprocate, even if it is months later.

    ReplyDelete